How to Create an Online Application Form?
So, you want to make an online application form
Making an application form online is almost the same as creating one on paper. You still have to start with the information you need to gather and ask the right questions. Don’t ask for more info than needed, otherwise people might skip your services or whatever you are offering. Keep it simple.
To create an online application form, you will need some programming knowledge. Because let’s face it, everything that is online is run by code. You can upload a PDF or Word document of your application form on your website or private network, but that’s not what you are looking for, now is it?
Your standard form starts with the structure in the HTML language, followed by styling with CSS, JQuery or Ajax for validating fields and the PHP to process the information from one end to another. But you know what? You can forget all about learning code or hiring a developer. Because, as there is a solution for every problem, so is one for building an online application form without coding.
Creating an online application form without coding
It all starts with creating an account on 123FormBuilder and following the steps below:
1. Click on New Form and select the blank option.
2. Use the panel on the left to drag and drop the fields that you need on the form. You have full control over the labels and the input types. You can edit pre-defined fields such as Name, Email or Phone.
3. Once you are done with building your questions and structuring your form layout, customize its design by going to Edit → Theme. Here you can play with your application form in terms of colors and other design aspects. I’m not going to run you through all the options, so feel free to explore it.
4. After you are done, set up email messages in the Notifications section. Here you can set up the email notifications that you receive, as well as the success message that goes to the person who filled in your application form.
5. Leverage your engagement efforts with a compelling Thank You messages. Need inspiration for a thank you? Here’s an article that will help you find the best thank you message for your form.
You will receive all applications in your inbox, but you can always check your application form’s database on 123FormBuilder, under the Submissions section. And you can create statistics in Reports after certain keywords. Now that’s helpful!
How to create an online form – best practices
Here are some tips and tricks that will make your application form awesome:
- Be brief. Structure your questions as concisely as possible. Instead of “Please be so kind as to provide us with your email address”, go with “Your email address” or “Email address”.
- Use field validations. This will save a lot of headaches, believe me. Imagine if you do not validate the Email field and you receive phone numbers instead of actual email addresses. With 123FormBuider, you can use custom field validations, depending on what you need.
- Put a personalized call-to-action button on the form. The word Submit is old school, and doesn’t sound friendly. Apply is better suited, or Send (as in “sending your application”).
Surely there are other things that you can use and experiment. I will see to it to come back with more valuable information, if needed.
We also provide a large amount of application forms that are already pre-built and ready to go in your 123FormBuilder account. Just head on over there and find the one best suited for your needs.
In conclusion, follow the steps above and you will create your online application form within minutes, with minimum effort and no coding.
I hope this article was useful for you.
Please comment below if there’s anything else you would want to know about building your application form online with 123FormBuilder.